Remember four years ago when then-Police Chief Jim McDonnell ran for sheriff as a reformist dedicated to increasing LASD’s morale and transparency? Right, well none of that happened and, instead, Sheriff McDonnell has pampered himself with the perks of high office, has implemented policies to silence internal dissent and has stonewalled the public in the release of even mundane information. Now he’s even being sued by the Los Angeles Times for routinely violating transparency laws.
“Over the last year alone, county officials have refused to release information about the status of homicide investigations, allegations of sexual misconduct against prosecutors and even mundane information such as email addresses for Sheriff’s Department employees,” the Times reports.
This as LASD watchdog Surruo.com reports that Sheriff McDonnell has been falsifying crime stats. Not wanting to believe our beloved LASD has fallen so far as to borrow from LAPD’s stat-juking playbook, we spoke with several high-ranking department members in the past few days who also confirmed this sad, pathetic, dishonest news to us, as well.
“A sheriff’s spokeswoman declined comment,” says the Times. Well, of course she did.
(I bet they actually wanted to say something but just thought it would be funnier if they refused to comment in an article about the Department’s willful lack of transparency!)
And while we’re talking about the Department’s awesome integrity and community relations, let’s give a shout-out to Carol Lin, the Sheriff’s “Director of Strategic Communications” who, despite carrying an “Executive Assistant” title on Transparent California, is actually a very experienced manipulator of the media and, as a result, brought home a cool $420,000 in total taxpayer compensation during 2015-16. Not quite Division Chief pay, but not bad. Way better than those stupid deputies, putting their lives on the line for $70K.
To read the full Times article, click here.
- LA Times: “More Transparency Needed at LA County Sheriff’s Department“, January 2015
- LA Times: “LA Sheriff Watchdog Decries Lack of Transparency“, April 2017
- KPCC’s ‘Repeat’ Podcast About Sheriff McDonnell’s Willful Lack of Transparency, March 2018
- Reporting on Recent LASD Policies To Silence Internal Dissent, Surruo.com
- How Much More Money Sheriff McDonnell Makes Than You Do, Transparent California
- Reporting About LASD Recently Sweeping a Lakeside Resort (Rented For Two Days For $45,000) For Listening Devices (Bugs)